January 24, 2020

Enough

I do not
Read the newspaper
Any more
I read novels
And magazines
Recipes
And poems
I read clouds
And sunsets
Shadows
And snowflakes
I read bird prints
And tide-lines on the shore
The bark of trees
The patterns of pine needles
On the forest floor
I read peoples' faces
And hands
Their body language
And their eyes.

I do not listen
To newscasts
Any more
I listen to the wind
Swirling through the grasses
The waves as they come and go
Along the beach
I listen to the honking of geese
The quarreling of starlings
The cooing of mourning doves
I listen to the joyful sound of laughter
And the silent sound of tears
I listen to the sweetness
Of voices singing together
And the comforting sound
Of many hearts
Beating as one
For me
This is enough

Joanna Zarkadas, yourdailypoem.com, January 22, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment