October 06, 2020

The Bald Truth

 

My hair went on a diet of its own accord.

Rogaine is the extent of my vanity.

It didn’t work but it was fun

treating my head with fertilizer

as if it were a phrenologist’s lawn.

They were on to something in believing

the skull you have is the soul you are,

that the brain is involved in the sport

of tectonics. My skull has a fault line

like California’s, which makes sense

given how the hemispheres of my brain

collide: the right side

wants to clean the house while the left

knows dancing is the best part

of who we are. Or vice versa,

I always have to look that up.

They say baldness means energetic things

about parts of me that aren’t

falling off. The real compensation’s

having no choice meeting the mirror

but to accept that tomorrow

will be different than today.

And greeting my wife,

not wondering, as pretty men must,

if I’m kissed for my soul or face,

to never doubt, as I become invisible,

that I’m seen by love.

Bob Hicock, Insomnia Diary (University of Pittsburg Press, 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment