September 17, 2021

15 cent Futures

 Epiphany Davis, 1825

I set up my cash box and my bones and cards

on Broadway, most days, offering what I see

of what’s to come. For a donation, words

fall from my mouth, surprising even me.

 

Uncle Epiphany doesn’t forecast death

or illness worse than gout or a broken bone.

The sailors stop. They listen with caught breath

as I tell them some girl’s heart is still theirs alone.

 

(… or not. Young love is such a butterfly.)

Girls come, arms linked, giggling behind their fans.

The sad come. Uncle Epiphany does not lie.

I close shop, and come back up here to my land.

 

It’s a new world up here, of beggar millionaires:

neighbors who know how we all scrimped and saved

to own this stony swamp with its fetid air,

to claim the dream for dreamers yet enslaved.

 

I’m Epiphany Davis. I am a conjure-man.

I see glimpses. Glass towers … A horseless vehicle …

An American President who is half African …

Until you pay me, that’s all I’m going to tell.

Marilyn Nelson, Namelos Editions, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment